Jim Davis is currently serving his second term as Austintown Trustee. Jim was elected to office in November of 2009 and was sworn in by Judge David D’Apolito and began his term in January 2010.
Jim attended the MTC Police Academy (currently Kent State University Academy) in September 2000 and graduated from the police academy in May 2001. He currently holds an OPOTA certification, has over 40 special police certifications, and is a commissioned Deputy with the Mahoning County Sheriff Department. Jim has served as a deputy since 2001. Jim received The Chief’s Life Saving commendation as a police officer for saving a residents life while on duty. Jim has also been involved with sales and promotions for various companies and organizations for over 10 years and currently helps businesses with marketing and promotions for their companies
During his first term in office Jim is pleased to have accomplished many projects in our community such as:
- Working with Police Chief Bob Gavalier to restart the reserve police program which has saved the township over $90,000.00 in officer training.
- Along with fellow Board of Trustee Members and Park Supervisor Todd Shaffer, creating the areas first dog park with training courses and obstacles for Dog’s and owners to enjoy.
- Being an active part of the effort to pass the community’s first ever “Senior Services Levy” and creation of the Austintown Senior Center, a center for local residents over the age of 60.
- Working with local business owners Greg Greenwood who donated a brand new 2013 Chevy Cruze to the police DARE Program and Sam Covelli who donated $5,000 to purchase police bullet proof vests.
- Collaborated with neighboring community Boardman, Ohio to purchase a new radio system for Police and Fire safety services at a savings to taxpayers of over $800,000.00.
Jim currently serves the community through his service on the various boards such as:
- American Red Cross of the Mahoning Valley–Board of Directors
- Hope Foundation of the Mahoning Valley–Board of Directors
- Austintown Growth Foundation–Member
- Mahoning County Land Bank–Board of Directors
- Personnel Committee for the Mahoning County Land Bank–Board Member
- Main Street Chamber-Member
- Mahoning County Democratic Party-Member
- Ohio Democratic Party-Member
- Mahoning County Township Association-Member
- Ohio Township Association-Member
- Austintown Athletic Hall of Fame-Board of Directors
- Tax Incentive Review Committee
Jim is an avid sports fan and enjoys watching the Indians, Buckeyes, Cavs, and Steelers. Jim’s hobbies include collecting sports memorabilia, running, and attending concerts. Jim is a 1995 graduate of Austintown Fitch. Jim resides in Austintown with his 3 year old daughter Gabriella and his puppy Cooper.
He can be reached by phone at (330) 518-7067 or via email at email@example.com
Ken Carano has worn a number of different hats in his many successful careers and on 1/1/2014 He returned to one of his Hats, as an Austintown Township Trustee and was re-elected in 2018.
He was a successful educator for 36 years starting at Greece Arcadia High School in Rochester, New York and continued at Austintown Fitch High School and Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio. At Fitch High School, he was a championship speech and debate coach where his team was recognized as “Team of the Decade” after winning 12 state team titles in 14 years. In recognition of his accomplishments, he was inducted into the Ohio High School Speech League Coaches Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.
Ken is also an accomplished businessman. He is the former President of Carano Enterprises, LLC, former managing partner of The Regency Associates, Owner and President of K&L Painting, and is presently a partner and Vice-President of the Mid-American Resource Company which deals with economic development and governmental funding.
Ken’s political life began as a precinct committeeman 43 years ago and has continued ever since. He was elected as an Austintown Township Trustee in 1995 and was re-elected in 1999. In 2000, Ken was elected to serve the 65th District of the Ohio House of Representatives, and was re-elected three additional times in the newly designated 59th District. With the election of Governor Ted Strickland, Ken became the Governor’s Regional Director for the four counties in the Mahoning Valley. He acted as advisor and liaison to the Governor and to each State Department covering the concerns of individuals, organizations and businesses.
Ken has been, and still is, extremely active in local, state and federal politics. He serves as the Mahoning County Democratic Party’s Executive Vice-Chairman where he is also the Election Chair, the Constitutional Committee Chair, and Parliamentarian. Ken is an active member of the Austintown Optimist Club, The Austintown Growth Foundation (Vice President), the Austintown Historical Society, the Austintown Democratic Club (President), the Austintown Retired Teacher’s Association, Mahoning County Township Association the Ohio Township Association, and the Ohio Education Association, retired.
During his careers, he was the recipient of many awards and honors including the following:
- Inducted into Austintown Township Hall of Fame
- Inducted into the first class of the Austintown Fitch High School Athletic Hall of Fame
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Service from the American Legion Post #301 and the Veterans of the 9th District.
- Received Legislator of the Year Award from the State MRDD
- Received Outstanding Legislator Award from the Akron Children’s Hospital
- Named Outstanding Treasurer by the Ohio Education Association (11 times)
- Received the National Forensic League Five Diamond Coaches Award (only 9 recipients in the United States)
- Received the Ohio Distinguished Service Award by the Ohio Communication Association
- Inducted into the The Mahoning County Democratic Party “Hall of Fame” class of 2013
You can email Ken at firstname.lastname@example.org